The last week was full of updates with a great impact on Google search: starting today websites that are not mobile-friendly will see their rank on mobile drop, users can opt in to get push notifications directly from users, there’s a new tool available in Webmaster Tools, the URL structure on mobile will change and you could have your app shown in Google search results to people who haven’t installed it yet.
1. Site Not Mobile-Friendly? Kiss Your Google Ranking Goodbye – starting today, if your website doesn’t pass the mobile-friendly test, Google will stay buried in the mobile search results. Anyone can check if their website is mobile-friendly with this tool from Google. This update will have no impact on desktop searches.
2. Reaching and re-engaging users on the mobile web – Chrome 42 will roll out new opportunities in the following weeks: you can now add your favorite websites to your home screen and choose to get push notifications directly from them. The notifications are available for both Android and desktop. There are websites already benefiting from this change, like Vice News. Just clic on the link and you will see the notification if you open it with the latest version of chrome on either mobile or desktop.
3. Google Now Provides Subdomain Support with Change of Address Tool – this new tool available in Google Webmaster Tools is very useful for webmasters who want to change a subdomain to a new domain because they can use it to notify Google about the change. You can’t use it to change HTTP to HTTPS, change your subdomain name or for path-only changes and you need to get through a process where you need to verify that you are the website owner, but the impact on Google ranking will be greatly minimized.
4. Google’s New Mobile Breadcrumb URLs: Making the Most of Your Site Name & URL Structure – 2 changes for mobile search results will be rolling out gradually, affecting the URL structure: breadcrumbs and website name. While everyone will be able to benefit from breadcrumbs, having the website name displayed instead of your domain name is being released for US only.
5. Drive app installs through App Indexing – if you have a great app and you want people to discover it, Google will help you. All you need to do is to complete a process to index it and Google will show it in the search results to the people who haven’t installed it yet.
Have a great week ahead!