According to a post on AdWords blog, the callout extensions started rolling out yesterday and will be available to all advertisers in the following weeks.
Callout extensions are meant to improve the CTR by allowing advertisers to show more relevant information about their business such as competitive advantages and promotions or highlight special features of their products.
Callout extensions – limitations
- available only for the following campaign types: “Search Network only” and “Search Network with Display Select”
- 25 characters max for each
- 2 to 4 callout extensions/ad can be displayed on all the devices
- they show up only with the ads situated at the top and at the bottom of Google search results
- you need to submit at least 2 callout extensions so that your your ad would qualify for having them displayed. The recommended number of callout extensions to be submited by Google is 4 for any level.
- there is no guarantee that the callout extensions will show up. Factors such as their order, length and performance will decide how many or if your callout extensions will show up at all.
- they are not clickable
Callout extensions – benefits & availability
– available globally for all advertisers
– shows up on all the devices, but you can opt for creating mobile-specific callouts and limit the devices that the callouts will be displayed on.
– they can be added at the account, campaign or ad group level. If you submitted call extensions at all levels, those at the smallest level(ad group, for example) will be chosen and they will be displayed in the order you created them.
– reporting is very good
– they can be displayed together with other ad extensions
– callout extensions can be scheduled to show up only in the days and at the hours that you want
– no additional cost. You will only pay for the click on your ad.
Callout extensions – recommendations
- keep it short(12-15 characters) to allow for more callouts to be shown
- be as specific as you can
- avoid useless words capitalization.
Also, a detail that should not be overlooked is that the callout extensions are a factor in calculating ad rank. For more information or if you need help setting them up, you can go to AdWords callout extensions support page.